Volunteer Opportunities for Teens
Calling all teens with a heart for animals and passion for doing good—we need you! HUMANE HEROES, our Teen Volunteer Program, is the perfect way for teens with a heart of gold to gain volunteer experience, learn important life skills, and learn about animal sheltering.
HUMANE HEROES allows youth ages 14-17 to volunteer at the shelter without a parent or guardian, but still under the supervision of shelter adoption staff and adult volunteers. HEROES assist with the basic, day-to-day needs of our HSNEGA adoption animals, creating a better quality of life for the animals in our temporary care. Duties include assisting with exercise and socialization for select adoption animals, assisting with basic facility maintenance, and working with HSNEGA staff to assist guests with facilitating the perfect adoption match. Limited community events, off-site adoption, and education program opportunities also are available; however, the focus is volunteering on-site at HSNEGA.
Our HUMANE HEROES are held accountable to the exceptional values and standards of care all HSNEGA volunteers are asked to exhibit, so we will seek only youths who are committed to this unique volunteer opportunity. Other HUMANE HERO requirements include:
- Display a “humane” attitude toward HSNEGA’s animals, volunteers, adopters, and, most importantly, other Teen Program volunteers.
- Currently be 14-17 years old (sorry, no exceptions for those under 14 at the time of application deadlines)
- Complete an application.
- Send in a letter of recommendation from a non-family member to Oureach@HSNEGA.org.
- Commit to volunteer for at least 4 hours a month for a 4-month service term.
- Purchase volunteer uniforms and supplies totaling $30. (If you are financially unable to cover the costs, please let us know.)
- Provide proof of current medical insurance coverage (no exceptions).
- Have means of reliable, safe transportation to and from your assigned volunteer shifts
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation session and a shadow/training session prior to starting the program.
To be accepted into the program, you must be available to attend a volunteer orientation, as well as the training session.
If you are interested in applying to be a Humane Hero to fulfill a service requirement, please carefully read through our Teen Volunteer Program requirements to carefully assess if this program is right for your schedule and will satisfy all of your school requirements.
Give with Confidence
At HSNEGA, we want to remember the amazing rescues that come to stay with us. All of the animals pictured on this site have been with us at some point. Some have already found their forever homes, but some may still be here at HSNEGA! The Humane Society of Northeast Georgia is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization (Federal Tax ID #58-0678817) and has received top recognition from the following charity rating organizations: